Friday, July 15, 2011

CrossFit Shared at AgeWell

By Caitlin DellaValle, MS, OTR/L

I have been training with the CrossFit program for over a year. After being introduced to the exercise regiment it has quickly become an integral part of my life. CrossFit (CF) is a principal strength and conditioning program. It delivers fitness that is by design broad, general and inclusive. CF programs are designed for universal ability, making it the perfect application for any individual regardless of experience.

Using what I was doing in my own workouts, I transferred some of the CF activities to the daily treatments I was providing at AgeWell. Clients at AgeWell were able to participate in CF derived therapeutic exercise. Using combined movements like an overhead reach with a squat, my clients received the benefit of weight training integrated with cardiovascular exercise. The movements are also functional! Think of all the times we stand up from a chair to lift an item overhead, or retrieve an object from a high shelf.

CF also taught me about new eating habits, particularly the Paelo Diet. I shared this diet guideline with some clients at AgeWell and 2 people decided to try the diet. After checking with their doctor they started eating the Paleo way. A diet high in protein, fruits, veggies and natural fats like olive oil and nuts. They reported weight loss, decreased blood sugar levels and improved energy.

I am happy to be involved in CF. I feel physically fit and full of energy. I am very proud to have had AgeWell clients participate in the CF experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment